Friday, December 11, 2009

The Original of Laura

Having become a fan of Vladimir Nabokov I have been arguing with myself about buying the new novel The Original of Laura. After listening to the presentation of it given in class I know that it is going to be a challenge that even experienced Nabokovians will find vexing. Through the grapevine of class I heard that Vladimir did not want the work published. Knowing that money talks more than dying wishes I decided to investigate the reasoning behind publishing this once thought to be lost work. As I looked into the issues surrounding the debate to publish the work or not, I read some of the quotes from his concerning the issue.

"Dmitri says he could have stored it away, where it would have inevitably been discovered, or he could publish it now and "present this wonderful gift to the public" while he is still alive." (www.npr.org)

I also got to read some of the reviews for the novel. I didn't read any of the negative critics that Dr. Sexson talked about, but I did read a review that said it was obviously unfinished. The article didn't necessarily say it was a bad thing, but it did want to be honest to the reader. It also said that it wouldn't be like anything you have read from Nabokov before. It also made hints to allusions in the novel that are from other Nabokov novels. There is a character named Hubert H. Hubert that tries to molest his stepdaughter (how fun!) Even if this novel isn't a Lolita or Pale Fire I think I have come to respect and understand Nabokov's writing enough that I will find plenty to enjoy in this new work.

"I came to the very clear conclusion," Nabokov says, "imagining my father, with a wry smile, in a calmer and happier moment, saying, 'Well you're in a real mess here — go ahead and publish. Have some fun.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment