Friday, December 11, 2009

Final Thoughts and Thanks

This class has been one of the most mentally challenging classes since I made the mistake of trying to be an electrical engineer. What makes this class amazing is that it is not only mentally challenging, but emotionally vexing and thought provoking, which are not always things you ascribe to great times. I took literary criticism earlier on in my career and thought that I had gotten through the bulk of the narcissistic intellectuals, but Nabokov seems to be able to transcend these stereotypes and made being an intellectual cool again. He is able to make fun of the whole elitist ideal and still sit at the top of it. Reading these novels has made me such a better reader than any class I have taken thus far. I used to think of reading as a theoretical knowledge that you can't really learn until you apply it. Nabokov's books make you apply your literary knowledge to the page and maps out the emotions so well its as if you are really there. I am so glad that I could end my school career on a class that has made me grow so much as a individual. I don't reread many books (i'm picky) and neither do I re-watch very many movies, but these novels have given me something that I can reread and enjoy and ponder over for years to come. If it wasn't for the class I wouldn't have been able to reach this understanding that I now sit at. The conversations that we had in class go beyond school work and career preparations; they are standards and ideals to live your life by. I want to thank everybody, especially Dr. Sexson, for helping me along this rough terrain of information and knowledge so I can feel complete leaving this institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment